Anesthesiologists at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester provide care to surgical patients including:
- Consultation prior to surgery
- Delivery of medications for safe, pain-free surgery and monitoring life functions during surgery
- Postsurgical care as required
Generally, one of the following types of anesthesia is used:
- General anesthesia ensures that the patient is completely asleep and unaware of the procedure.
- Moderate sedation provides the appropriate medication to have surgery without discomfort, but not in a deep sleep.
- Regional anesthesia includes spinal, epidural and regional block anesthesia. Only the appropriate area of the body is numbed and the patient is able to communicate during the procedure.
Areas of special expertise include:
- Anesthesia for outpatient procedures
- Anesthesia for transplantation procedures
- Cardiothoracic anesthesia
- Critical care services including all forms of invasive monitoring, and ventilatory and circulatory monitoring
- Management of trauma patients
- Pediatric anesthesia
- Pain management
In addition, our anesthesiologists provide leadership of the health care team in our surgical intensive care units.