Almost anyone can donate. In order to donate, the mother must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be having a single baby - unfortunately no twins or triplets
- Have no history of hepatitis B or C, HIV or diabetes requiring insulin
- Have no history of organ transplantation
- Have no history of cancer (cured skin cancer: basal cell/squamous cell and cervical ca in situ is acceptable)
- Not have had tattoos, nonsterile piercings or acupuncture done in the previous 12 months
Certain family history of blood disorders or travel to areas with malaria or history of malaria may prevent one from donating. Each of these requirements protects those who may receive the blood.
Those who are not eligible to donate to the public bank may donate to research and are encouraged to make this valuable donation. Tell your doctor and nurse when you come to the hospital to have your baby.
How to Donate
Talk to your doctor, who may have information in their offices. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-334-9015. You may also sign up when you come to labor and delivery.
Learn more about cord blood donation at www.marrow.org.