Genetic screening holds much promise in understanding a person’s risk for developing cancer, particularly for the five to 10 percent of patients whose cancer is due to abnormal genes.
Our Cancer Prevention and Detection Program, located in Worcester, MA, helps you and your loved ones better understand how cancer may run in your family by linking specific genes with specific diseases, including:
You may wish to seek genetic screening if you have several relatives with cancer or relatives who developed cancer before age 50. A family history of an unusual or rare form of cancer is also a common reason for screening.
Genetic counselors work with families to determine if genetic testing is right for them, and provide education on prevention, observation programs and current cancer treatments. Patients and families have access to:
- Genetic counseling and testing
- Access to behavioral health psychologists to assist with emotional well-being
- Ongoing mentoring
- Prophylactic surgery (surgery to remove an organ or gland)
Ambulatory Care Center
To match the world-class care provided for you, many outpatient cancer care services are located in our Ambulatory Care Center, which offers:
- Spacious and comfortable waiting, treatment and exam rooms
- Private and semi-private infusion rooms
- Quiet contemplative space
- Beautiful views of Lake Quinsigamond