Thank you for considering donating to the Child Life Program and the pediatric patients we serve. It is because of wonderfully generous people that we are able to provide our patients and their families with toys, games and activities in our playroom, teen room, waiting areas and at patients' bedsides. Gifts go a long way towards making the hospital a less threatening place and brightening a child's stay. As you consider your donation, keep the following important guidelines in mind. We have developed these guidelines to protect our most vulnerable patients.
Toys and stuffed animals: Because of our strict infection control and safety policies we only accept new toys, games, stuffed animals, books, arts and crafts, and other items. This policy is in place to protect our sickest patients who may be suffering from respiratory illnesses, suppressed immune systems or other life-threatening conditions.
Edible gifts: All edible gifts must be commercially made and factory wrapped. Unfortunately, we cannot accept homemade foods for safety and infection control reasons.
Visiting policy: Because of our infection control and safety policies and privacy regulations, we are unable to allow donors to deliver gifts directly to the children or their families.
Respect diversity: UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center serves children and families from birth through young adulthood and from all walks of life. Because of this, we ask donors to respect our patients' diverse belief systems by not including items depicting specific religious or political themes, or any items that may be violent or inappropriate for individuals under 18 years of age.
Delivery: Deliveries are scheduled through the Child Life office at least one week prior to the date of delivery so that we may arrange for a child life staff member to meet you in the main lobby. Donations should be delivered to:
UMass Memorial - University Campus
Remillard Family Pavilion - 1st floor
55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655
Monetary donations: You may also donate funds directly to the Child Life Fund via the UMass Medical School/UMass Memorial Development Office. These funds are used throughout the year to purchase toys, arts and crafts, and other supplies that directly benefit children. To donate to this fund, contact the UMass Medical School/UMass Memorial Development Office, 508-856-5520.
If you would like a list of suggested toys, see our wish list.
- Infant and Toddler board books
- No spill tumbler cups
- Disposable sippy cups
- Wrist rattles
- I Spy and pop-up books
- Coloring books
- Plastic infant toys and rattles
- Squeezable stress balls
- Playing cards
- Phase 10 and Skip Bo cards
- Matchbox cars
- Crayola markers and colored pencils
- Unpainted wooden crafts (birdhouses, boats, cars, etc.)
- Colorful bandaids
- Crayons (individual boxes)
- Sound books
- Infant stimulation toys (sounds and lights) - no cloth
- Plastic infant toys
- Crib mirrors - no cloth
- Crib gyms and mobiles - no cloth
- Popular board games (Clue, Battleship, Sorry, Yatzee)
- Puzzles (25, 50 or 100 pieces)
- Lego Kits - small, no large buckets please
- Arts and crafts kits (beads, caps, felt posters)
- Toy doctor kits
- Dolls with plastic bodies
- Over the door basketball hoops
- Music CDs (nature sounds/relaxation, Disney, lullaby, popular teen)
- DVD movies - new releases, rated G, PG, PG-13
- Disposable cameras
- Rescue Hero action figures
- Fisher Price toys (farms, people, animals, garage)
- Nail polish kits
- Gift certificates to local movie theaters
- Hand-held electronic games (Connect 4, Battleship)
- Infant wash tubs
- Hats and scarves
- Fast food gift certificates
- Under $75
- Washable crib mobiles - no cloth
- Video Games for systems (Game Cube, Playstation (2 and 3), Nintendo 64, GameBoy Advanced, Nintendo DS)
- Model kits (snap-together cars, airplanes, boats)
- Computer games/software
- Hats and shirts from local sports teams
- Portable CD players
- Toys R Us and Babies R Us gift certificates
- Kodak printer paper and Ink (Kodak PH-160 Printer Dock Media Kit)
- PS2 Controller
- Fisher Price Peek-a-Boo Soothers ("Rainforest Waterfall" & "Ocean Wonders Aquarium")
Items over $75
- Portable DVD players
- Kodak EasyShare printer dock series 3
- Monetary donations
If you have any questions, call Child Life at 774-443-2549.
Please remember that all items must be new, and due to our infection control policies, we discourage gifts of stuffed animals.