NICU Visiting Hours
Parents are not considered visitors in our NICU. They are welcome to be with their infant at all times.
While there are open visiting hours, the following guidelines are to provide a private and safe place for the families and babies.
- All visitors must be with one of the infant's parents.
- All visitors and parents must sign the logbook at the front desk when arriving and sign out when leaving.
- Two visitors at a time may be with the parents at the bedside.
- Brothers and sisters of the baby need to check in at the desk before each visit. They will be asked a few questions to make sure that they are in good health.
- Children under 16 who are not brothers or sisters of the baby may not go into the nursery but are welcome in the Family Lounge.
- After 8:30 pm, visitors must enter/exit the hospital through the Emergency Department. A security officer will take the visitor's name to confirm that he/she is a NICU parent.
Obtaining Information about Patients
Information is given only to the infant's mother and her chosen support person. They may call at any time. For security reasons, the ID band number is required before any information is given out. Call 508-334-6581 or toll free 800-477-2925.
Parents of babies in the NICU are eligible for parking passes. Social workers provide parents information on how to pick up passes.
Support of the NICU
Often families of NICU babies wish to show their interest in the UMass Memorial NICU and neonatology treatment and research by making a financial contribution to support the care of future NICU patients. Therefore, UMass Memorial established a Neonatal Fund.
Donations to the NICU Fund can be made by contacting:
UMass Medical School/UMass Memorial Development Office
333 South Street
Shrewsbury, MA 01545