The UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center in Worcester offers an 11-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), which is the only PICU in Central Massachusetts. Our highly skilled staff provides family centered critical care to infants, children and adolescents with a variety of life-threatening medical, surgical and trauma care needs.
Our PICU is staffed by pediatric intensivists who coordinate and direct a multidisciplinary team consisting of highly skilled pediatric resident physicians, pediatric critical care nurses, nutritionists, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, child life specialists and social workers who are dedicated to the care of the pediatric intensive care patient.
Pediatric Critical Care Services
- LifeFlight air ambulance transport - The UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center PICU has direct access to a dedicated air transport system. Our aeromedical teams consist of physicians and nurses with special training in the stabilization and transport of critically ill infants and children, and they are available 24 hours a day for immediate assistance.
- Trauma services - UMass Memorial is the region's only Level One Pediatric Trauma Center, staffed 24 hours a day by specialists in the care of pediatric trauma injury. The PICU staff is available around the clock for consultation on the stabilization and transport of critically ill or injured children.
- Advanced respiratory support - The PICU team uses advanced ventilation assistance devices to aid children of all ages with respiratory issues. These include high flow oxygen, noninvasive ventilation, and mechanical ventilation with conventional, high pressure, or high frequency modes.
- Post-operative care - Children who need postoperative care in a closely monitored setting are frequently admitted to the PICU. The surgical care is coordinated between the pediatric surgeons and pediatric intensivists. The PICU is adept at neurosurgical, general surgical, orthopedic, ear/nose/throat, plastic and reconstructive surgical, and trauma management.
- Renal replacement therapy - The PICU offers a range of services for patients in need of care for renal (kidney) failure, including hemodialysis.
- Pediatric burn care - The PICU is home to a regional pediatric burn center that provides a full range of services including acute burn resuscitation, burn management by burn specialists, and treatment of associated lung and inhalation injuries.
- Diagnostic imaging - Diagnostic imaging support is provided through the comprehensive radiology, nuclear medicine, ultrasound, computed tomography (CT) scan and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) services available at UMass Memorial Medical Center.
|Staff and Contact Information
For help in choosing a physician, call 800-431-5151.
- To contact the Pediatric Critical Care Division administrative office, call 508-856-2164.
- To contact the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, call 508-856-2991.
UMass Memorial Medical Group Pediatric Critical Care Specialists
For information about our staff, click on the profiles below.
- Carrie Armsby, MD, MPH, Director, Pediatric Sedation Service
- Scot Bateman, MD, Chief, Pediatric Critical Care
- Morris Earle, MD, MPH
- Michael Hirsh, MD, Chief, Pediatric Surgery; Associate Director, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- David Tiber, MD
- Stacey Valentine, MD, MPH
Families members are welcome to visit throughout the day.