UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center pulmonary and neurology sleep specialists work together to help children of all ages and their families resolve sleep problems so that kids can lead healthier lives.
Whether it is sleep apnea, leg movement disorders or snoring, sleep problems can have significant consequences on the health and functioning of a child.
Sleep disorders can cause a variety of problems during childhood, such as:
- Negative impact on growth and development
- Difficulties in learning as memories are stored while sleeping
- Lack of motivation to learn
- Poor focus and attention
- Less participation in activities
- Irritability and fussiness
Diagnosis and treatment is available for sleep disorders, including:
- Sleep apnea
- Periodic leg movement syndrome
- Restless leg syndrome
- Parasomnias (night terrors, sleep walking)
- Delayed sleep phase syndrome
- Narcolepsy and cataplexy
- Behavioral insomnia of childhood
Treatment plans may include behavioral modifications, medications, removal of enlarged tonsils and adenoids and/or continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP).
The center is proud to have the only board-certified pediatric sleep medicine specialist in Central Massachusetts.