UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester provides patients throughout Central Massachusetts with the most advanced emergency care possible. This care is built upon decades of experience as the region's leading academic medical center-based Emergency Department.
UMass Memorial offers emergency care at two, easy-to-reach locations: The Duddie Massad Emergency and Trauma Center on the University Campus and the Emergency Department on the Memorial Campus. Both locations offer a comfortable environment, featuring modern technology and highly experienced staff who care for all emergencies, from routine to the most complex.
In addition to providing emergency care, the Duddie Massad Emergency and Trauma Center also houses a highly specialized trauma center that is accredited by the American College of Surgeons as the only Level One Trauma Center for adults and children in Central Massachusetts. To meet the often special needs of infants and children, we also offer a separate Pediatric Emergency Department, the Dr. Arthur and Martha Pappas Pediatric Care Pavilion.
Emergency care services on the University Campus include:
- Sixty-six private treatment rooms to minimize delays
- Advanced, intuitive technology that acts as a hub for the patient's medical information as well as supports bedside registration
- A dedicated room to provide a private and compassionate setting for sexual assault victims
- A negative pressure environment to ensure patient and staff safety when treating potentially infectious diseases
- A radiology unit for prompt digital imaging testing
- Emergency Mental Health Services
The Memorial Campus Emergency Department includes a 34-bed emergency treatment area backed by a highly skilled staff and supported by advanced monitoring equipment. On-site diagnostic imaging and laboratory services provide patients with rapid diagnosis and treatment.
A fast track program is available on both campuses from 11 am to 11 pm. This program is staffed by emergency medicine physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners with advanced training and is specifically designed to quickly treat adults and children with minor injuries or illnesses.