The Anticoagulation Center at UMass Memorial helps patients monitor and manage the medications taken to prevent blood clots. Due to certain conditions such as atrial fibrillation, deep vein thrombosis, or pulmonary embolism or other hereditary conditions, many patients require the use of an anticoagulant. The length of treatment and choice of medication is unique to each patient.
When you are referred to the center by your physician, you will meet a nurse practitioner to review your health history, identify medications, and evaluate length and safety of treatment. You will receive education related to warfarin (Coumadin), side effects, and drug and dietary interactions. All subsequent visits are with a registered nurse who evaluates doses and adjusts as necessary. Regular testing and ongoing communication with you assures you are receiving the correct level of medication.
Our services include:
- On-site clinic provides blood testing with immediate warfarin (Coumadin) dose recommendations
- Provision of other anticoagulation medications for patients who are not able to take warfarin (Coumadin) for brief periods of time due to surgical procedures
- Screening of patients and family members for suspected inherited predispositions to blood clotting
- Home coagulation monitoring and management programs
- Patient and family education
To schedule an appointment:
Levine Ambulatory Care Center
33 Kendall Street
Worcester, MA 01605