Expert Musculoskeletal Care, Close to Home
You don’t need to travel far for the very best orthopedic care when joint or back pain, broken bones or sports injuries make it hard to live a full life. Excellent care for these problems is right here in Central Massachusetts.
When you have an orthopedic problem, the UMass Memorial Health Care Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence in Worcester is the place to be.
- It's nationally known for the quality of its orthopedics and total joint replacement care.
- It has a respected team of highly skilled physicians, top orthopedic surgeons and physical therapy specialists.
- These experts deliver high-quality results One of the reasons we’re considered a Center of Excellence is because our highly trained orthopedic surgeons perform so many orthopedic procedures and operations.
With more than 40 subspecialists covering every area of orthopedics, we offer you more than any other hospital in Central New England. This is your one-stop resource for complete orthopedic care.
You’ll find a full range of diagnostic (tests/x-rays) and treatment services all under one roof. In addition, our orthopedic surgeons are involved in research, clinical trials (research with patients) and medical education. This means you’ll have access to the most advanced orthopedic care, all in one place.
Complete Orthopedic Care
Our specialists provide care and treatment for a wide range of orthopedic problems.
- Arthritis (disease of the joints) and Joint Replacement
Osteoarthritis (the most common type of arthritis, where cartilage in your joints wears down over time), joint pain, total hip replacement, total knee replacement, diseases affecting the joints including rheumatoid arthritis
- Elbow care
Elbow surgery for tennis elbow and other athletic elbow injuries, arthritis and inflammatory joint abnormalities, arthroscopic elbow surgery, elbow replacement surgery, elbow bracing
- Foot and Ankle/Podiatry
Bunions (abnormal growths at base of your big toe) and hammertoes (toes that curl up at the joint), diabetic foot care, heel pain, fractures, sports injuries
- Hand and Upper Extremity
Hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and hand fractures/trauma
- Orthopedic Oncology (Bone Cancer)
Ewing's sarcoma, osteosarcoma, other tumors affecting bones and supporting muscles
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Physiatry)
Non-surgical treatment for back pain, physical, occupational and speech therapy, pain management
Treatment of arthritis and other diseases of the joints, bones and muscles.
- Shoulder Care
Treatments for shoulder muscle and joint pain and shoulder injury including rotator cuff surgery, arthroscopic shoulder surgery, shoulder joint replacement
- Spine Care
Spine care including, surgical and non-surgical treatments for back pain, sciatica, herniated discs, spine injuries, spinal stenosis, osteoporosis, deformities and arthritis, and whiplash
- Sports Medicine
Arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery and non-surgical treatments for sports-related injuries including tennis elbow, ACL tears and other knee injuries, repetitive and overuse injuries, back injuries, dislocations, fractures and ligament damage
- Fractures and Emergency Orthopedics
24/7 emergency care for acute traumatic injuries such as fractures and crush injuries
Information related to injuries, birth and developmental disorders including spina bifida, scoliosis, muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy in children, teens and young adults can be found with our Children's Medical Center.
Information regarding hand therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, custom orthotics and braces can be found under rehabilitation services.
Recognized for Quality Orthopedic Care
Complete Diagnostic Imaging and Support Services
As part of our complete approach to orthopedic care, we provide convenient, on-site diagnostic imaging services using today’s most advanced technology, such as CT and MRI, to ensure fast, accurate diagnosis. And we offer a full range of support services, including physical and occupational therapy, and extensive patient education resources.
The UMass Memorial Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence has received local and regional recognition for its exceptional patient results and depth of experience that places us in the top orthopedic programs in the nation.
A System of Care
- Our Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence is designated a Blue Distinction Center for Specialty Care® in knee and hip replacement.
- The Agency on Healthcare Research and Quality selected the UMass Memorial Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence to lead five other nationally respected orthopedic programs in recruiting patients and collecting information for a first-of-its-kind database of total joint replacement patients to better understand outcomes and how total joint replacement surgery affects a patient’s quality of life.
Orthopedic care is also provided at UMass Memorial Health Care community hospitals:
In addition to our Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence in Worcester, orthopedic and podiatry services are available at our Westborough office located at 154 Main Street. To schedule an appointment, call 888-244-6094, press 8.
General orthopedic and sports medicine services also are offered at UMass Memorial Orthopedics at Milford, 91 Water Street. To schedule an appointment, call 888-244-6094, press 9.