UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester provides a full range of treatments for adults and children with hand and upper extremity (arm and shoulder) problems due to trauma, work-related injuries, congenital abnormalities and arthritis (painful, swollen joints), as well as sports injuries.
At the Hand and Upper Extremity Center, we have a skilled team of hand specialists — orthopedic surgeons who have advanced training in hand and upper extremity treatments. These specialists work closely with sports medicine physicians, plastic surgeons and hand therapists to provide complete, specialized care. Patients receive care for conditions that cause hand pain and prevent the normal use of the hand, including:
- Bone and joint injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and other conditions caused by nerve compression or pinching
- Complex injuries to the hand and upper extremities
- Congenital abnormalities (present from birth)
- Nerve injuries and tendonitis
- Arthritis (painful, swollen joints) conditions that require surgical repair
For prompt, accurate diagnosis, the Center also offers the latest in diagnostic imaging services including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), arthrography (a special x-ray to examine the interior of a joint) and neurodiagnostic studies to evaluate nerve damage.
And at our Hand Therapy Center
, our team of physical and occupational therapists have specialized knowledge in the treatment of hand pain and provide specialized evaluations, treatments and custom splints.
Comprehensive Treatment Options
The advanced treatment options available at the UMass Memorial Hand and Upper Extremity Center include:
- Minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery
- Wrist brace and hand splints to provide wrist support, and protect and/or rehabilitate an injured area
- Endoscopic and minimal-incision surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome
- Highly specialized hand therapy
- Joint replacement for degenerative disorders and arthritis
- Microvascular surgery (the repair of very small blood vessels in the hand)
- Reconstruction of abnormalities present from birth