If you are facing a diagnosis of bone cancer, you want the best care possible. UMass Memorial Medical Center’s Orthopedic Oncology program offers today’s most advanced treatment options, as well as hope.
Our care is provided by expert orthopedic oncologists with extensive subspecialty training in caring for patients with benign (non cancerous), malignant (cancerous) and metastatic (spreading) bone cancer and soft-tissue tumors. We provide a depth and breadth of clinical expertise that is unmatched in Central Massachusetts.
We also work closely with the respected UMass Memorial Cancer Center of Excellence
and its extensive team of cancer specialists that includes experts in radiation therapy, chemotherapy, palliative (quality of life) care and a wealth of patient and family support services.
The types of bone cancer we treat include:
- Ewing’s sarcoma
- Other tumors affecting the bones and supporting muscles
Because timely, accurate diagnosis and staging is critical for effective cancer treatment, we offer all the latest diagnostic technologies:
- Diagnostic imaging that includes magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT), single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), x-ray and other digital diagnostic imaging tests used to identify cancer
- Surgical biopsy
- Pathology lab services to examine tissue samples to determine the type of tumor
And we provide state-of-the-art treatment options, including:
- Orthopedic surgery to remove tumors
- Radiation oncology
- Targeted chemotherapies
- Access to new treatments through cancer research and clinical trials
Equally important, we understand the emotional as well as physical effects of cancer, and we are committed to treating you and your family in an environment of compassion and support. We offer extensive support services including:
- Nutritional counseling
- Home care coordination
- Genetic screening and counseling
- Pain management
- Palliative care (quality of life care)
- Support groups
- On-site American Cancer Society Resource Center