UMass Memorial Medical Center is designated as a Primary Stroke Service Center by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Our physicians are specially trained in caring for individuals with stroke symptoms. Patients are given rapid access to needed diagnostic and treatment services. Both patients and their families receive information and the support essential to making informed decisions about stroke care.
Advanced stroke care at the Medical Center includes:
- The Stroke Prevention Clinic - dedicated to helping educate patients with risk factors of stroke or those who have had a stroke or intracranial hemorrhage. Patients are also able to participate in outpatient stroke trials.
- Our eICU program - the first of its kind in Massachusetts; provides an additional level of care for critical patients including those affected by stroke.
- Our Stroke Step-down Unit - located just outside the ICU. It supports our specially-trained staff in providing state-of-the art stroke care for patients when they are well enough to leave the ICU. The care team has extensive experience in neurological issues and monitoring of stroke patients.
- Neurointerventional radiologists - performing groundbreaking minimally invasive surgery for treating cerebral aneurysms.
- Physiatrists - specializing in therapy for functional problems that result from neurological injury, such as a stroke.