Volunteers are assigned to areas that best match their interests, skill and talents.
Volunteers work in many areas, including:
- Visitor Assistance Desk
- Emergency Department
- Medical offices
- Pediatrics, Radiology, Surgery, Cancer Center and other clinical departments
- Gift shop
- Pastoral care
Some of the volunteer assignments include:
- Emergency Department Patient Assistant: Volunteers serve as a liaison between patients and/or their families and staff. The role encompasses a variety of tasks necessary to facilitate the patient's movement through the treatment process.
- Patient Transport: Volunteers assist in the transport of our patients and visitors to various hospital departments.
- Patient Escorts: Volunteers meet, greet and escort our patients, families and visitors from the Visitor Assistance Desk and the Admitting Department to their destinations.
- Receptionist: In a variety of departments, our volunteers greet patients and visitors and provide assistance to staff members with various clerical duties.
- Clinical Department: Volunteers assist in hospital clinics with filing, making reminder telephone calls and reading to children in the waiting room.
- UMass Memorial Hospice: Hospice volunteers primarily offer support and a caring presence to patients and their families.