The Diabetes Self-Management Education Program at Wing Memorial Hospital is approved by the American Diabetes Association. The program is available to any adult with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. We provide one-on-one counseling to people ages 18 and older who have diabetes. Participants receive in-depth education and advice on diabetes management techniques, as well as the long-term complications and psychological effects of living with diabetes. Registered dietitians also provide medical therapy and nutritional counseling for people with diabetes.
The program covers the following topics, as needed by the participants:
- Blood glucose monitoring and insulin pump therapy
- Foot care
- Gestational diabetes education and management
- Medication management
- Other diabetes self-management techniques including exercise
- Preventing and detecting the long-term complications from diabetes
- Psychological effects of diabetes
- Role of diet and nutrition in managing diabetes
- Types of diabetes: type 1, type 2, gestational and pre-diabetes
Participants must be referred by their physician before entering the program. In most cases, services are covered by insurance; payment at time of visit is also available.
For more information on Wing Memorial Hospital's Diabetes Self-Management Program, please call 413-284-5208.
Download our Information for Patients with Diabetes brochure (PDF format).
Wing Medical Center - Palmer
40 Wright Street, Palmer, MA 01069